In winter, people enjoy baked potatoes. It takes 5 minutes of manual work and the rest is done in the oven. There are some nitty-gritty details that you need to understand for making perfect baked potatoes.
Best potato varieties for baking
Potatoes are available in different varieties, colors, and shapes. Some varieties are great for baking, while the remaining are good for boiling, roasting, and mashing. Potatoes USA is a potato marketing organization established in 1971 to promote potato eating. For enjoying a yummy taste of baked potato in oven chooses the Russet type.
Round red potatoes, fingerling potatoes, and new potatoes have waxy exterior. They are low in starch and maintain their shape while cooking. Therefore they work great in potato salads and soups because they don’t get mushy when boiled.
There are different kinds of all-purpose potatoes because they are adaptable. They can handle both wet and dry cooking forms like grilling and roasting or frying and boiling.
Should you wrap potatoes in foil while baking?
When you use Russet potatoes for baking then there is no need to use foil. It helps to get a flavor of crispy skin. If you need starchy potatoes to become gooey or soft on the inside then wrap them in foil.
How much time does it take for a potato to bake in an oven?
The time taken to bake potato depends on variety, size, and oven temperature. When you bake russet potatoes at 350°F, it takes approximately one hour. If the potatoes are small in size then check at 45 minutes. It means the bigger the potato longer the time.
How to prepare the perfect baked potato in your oven?
- Prep time – 10 min
- Cook time – 1 hr.
- Total time – 1hr. 10 min
- Medium Russet potato – 1
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp.
- Sea salt – one pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place a baking sheet on the baking tray.
- Wash the potato thoroughly and dry it.
- Use a small and sharp knife to make holes around the potato. You can even use a fork to make holes.
- Drizzle olive oil on the potato and rub your hands across the surface.
- Take a pinch of sea salt and rub it across the greasy potato surface.
- Place the potato on the baking tray.
- Put the baking tray in the preheated oven for one hour.
- Use a fork to check if the potato is cooked or not.
- Serve the perfectly baked potato hot with healthy toppings.
What to pair with baked potatoes?
Get creative and choose the following combinations. Use baked potatoes with –
- Roasted chickpeas & hummus
- Cheddar cheese, salsa, and black beans
- Buffalo chickpea salad
- Chili, cheese, green onions, and sour cream topping
- Pizza sausage, mushrooms, vegan sausage, and mozzarella cheese
- BBQ jackfruit & coleslaw
- Bruschetta & olives
- Crispy tofu & peanut satay sauce
Potatoes can be served with or without skin depending on the recipe. However, including skin allows for attaining total health benefits and skin adds another level of dimension to the finished dishes’ flavors.